Unhappy Alright let's talk about the goth/batcave era and today's "goth" scene.

Recently, I've known that the Goth subculture has pretty much been underground for a while. I looked on the internet and saw some stuff and now I'm wondering what is happening to "deathrock" and old school batcave with nu metal and ebm taking over....like if anyone out there agrees please I'm all ears.

Junior Member Beautiful Mourning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by melangod76 View Post
    Recently, I've known that the Goth subculture has pretty much been underground for a while. I looked on the internet and saw some stuff and now I'm wondering what is happening to "deathrock" and old school batcave with nu metal and ebm taking over....like if anyone out there agrees please I'm all ears.
    Well, deathrock is still around.

Shadow Image (from Flint, MI) is my favorite current local band. Their sound is SoM & Type O Neg meets Christian Death, so I guess just sorta deathrock.

Over the last 3-5 years I find out most about current deathrock bands from Cvlt Nation's website. They've profiled loads of bands I love like Lost Tribe, Anasazi, Cemetery, Tanzkommando Untergang, Christ vs. Warhol, Arctic Flowers, Blue Cross -- so many bands that I appreciate as much as the old classics. I guess some bands have blended deathrock with metal, crust punk, or post-punk, but if you listen closely to the classics (C. Death to 45 Grave to Alien Sex Fiend) they don't really sound the same anyway. And again there is just so much great stuff coming out now.

Also check out bandcamp. Michelle Threefold has great taste in current/recent music:
    http://bandcamp.com/michellethreefold
    Masquerade, Pleasure Leftists, Catholic Spit, and Moral Hex are all very good.

Most of these bands only play locally and don't tour much, but Spiritual Bat is on tour right now and so is Underpass if you like the Joy Division sound.

Junior Member Beautiful Mourning's Avatar
    Where are you from melangod76?

Thank you for*good*communication.

Thank you for*good*communication.

Well, goth has branched out. For me, Deathrock and trad goth is the basis of my gothness. But for others, nu metal and ebm may be how they goth, and theres nothing wrong with that, its just a different kind of goth. I like some alt metal and aggrotech. Does that make me any less of a "true goth". No.

The point of goth is to be different. So what the newer stuff is doing is just being different.