How's the Deathrock scene where you currently live?

Just wondering because there's not really all that much of a scene up here in Washington... 0.o

I at the moment live in a really small town, so it's just me.... and I mean that in that there are no punks or goths, just dumb emos who all look the same and have the same haircuts...

i take that back, my bedroom is the deathrock scene

I'm the only deathrock scene here... just cornfields for miles.
    Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!

Quote Originally Posted by RottenLace View Post
    I at the moment live in a really small town, so it's just me.... and I mean that in that there are no punks or goths, just dumb emos who all look the same and have the same haircuts...
    Well atleast you live close to places like L.A. and San Fran.

The Tri-Cities is an excellent example of a place where NOBODY knows what goth really is. Mall goths/Baby bats roam about, bogarting and bastardizing the styles of those of us who actually know what we're talking about. It's disheartening, really...

true that, if i lived in CA i'd be taking the bus every weekend to hang out at Release the Bats!

There's one or two people around here who like old stuff like that, but even NYC is pretty dead. I don't see much of anyone when I go out (not that it happens often).

meh, i'm about it here. i live in a college town, so there's a bunch of hipsters. that's about it. i'm not far from pittsburgh, although there's not much going on there that i know of these days. i am, admittedly, a bit out of touch though. if anybody knows of something i'm missing there, please let me know. i occasionally get to drac's ball in philly when i have time and can afford it. i spend most of my time on my own, watching movies, reading books, and listening to music. i'm sure many of you can relate.
    "It was inevitable from the moment I found how to achieve what I'd always wanted... To be the knife as well as the wound. Would you have ever forgiven me? I wanted the night... you see... and here it is..."

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Nowhere View Post
    meh, i'm about it here. i live in a college town, so there's a bunch of hipsters. that's about it. i'm not far from pittsburgh, although there's not much going on there that i know of these days. i am, admittedly, a bit out of touch though. if anybody knows of something i'm missing there, please let me know. i occasionally get to drac's ball in philly when i have time and can afford it. i spend most of my time on my own, watching movies, reading books, and listening to music. i'm sure many of you can relate.
    yeah i hear that, i spend the majority of my time doing the same, if not having a terrible reoccuring dream of minimum wage slavery. but generally most social atmospheres seem so hopeless and desperate.. i think i'd rather stay at home and listen to Rozz, read some Nietzche, and watch some Outer Limits

Quote Originally Posted by diablos 88 View Post
    yeah i hear that, i spend the majority of my time doing the same, if not having a terrible reoccuring dream of minimum wage slavery. but generally most social atmospheres seem so hopeless and desperate.. i think i'd rather stay at home and listen to Rozz, read some Nietzche, and watch some Outer Limits
    yeah, i hear you, man. it sucks and sounds pretty boring, but its nice to hear i'm not alone.

where are you from?
    "It was inevitable from the moment I found how to achieve what I'd always wanted... To be the knife as well as the wound. Would you have ever forgiven me? I wanted the night... you see... and here it is..."

about to do our 5th deathrock party in Cincinnati this past year and every time as ruled, we've gotten up to a hundred weirdos to come out at times and that's with playing WHATEVER we want, not just slutty EBM misogynistic bullshit - I can play Shadow Project, SPK, Current 93, newer bands like Bestial Mouths... and people have a great time even if they don't know what the fuck is going on, you treat it like a Halloween party every time and people really dig it...

I'm in Alberta (pretty much the conservative oil capital of Canada) and there's absolutly nothing. We have 4 industrial nights that call themselves goth nights, but no real goth scene, let alone Deathrock. I have a couple cool spooky friends, but I'm pretty desperate for some real deathrock friends. (That came out wrong. You get the idea)

i live in annapolis, so its all just over-priced stores, over-priced restaurants and boat people.
    Don't you know that things goes nice with spice?

if there's nothing you like going on where you're at you gotta DIY

It Doesn't exist.... Just a small town full of emos and scene kids. Oh so very many scene kids.. Splendid, right? =\
    Oh, and three days ago I discovered that one of my friends has a Bauhaus shirt from her older brother. The fact that this discovery overwhelmed me with joy is probably a pretty sad statement...

uhh where in Ohio are you?? I'm in Cincylvania (often misspelled "Cincinnati") and I just did a show for Italy's The Spiritual Bat last night with Count Grozny for support... doing a deathrock / horror punk / goth show on the 26th too, poster art for it here http://robertinhuman.blogspot.com/ ...usually get a great crowd, even last night with literally setting the show up a couple DAYS prior we had about 30 people to watch the band (a last minute gig on a Tuesday!) ...anyway I know the frustration, but there are ways to stir things up

Northeast ohio, plus I'm still in highschool so not very much I can do....

anything going on around cleveland? you could start a band of some sort and play in neighboring cities periodically?

First, I'd need to develop some sort of musical talent....

not true, you just gotta get real creepy, I'm positive about it, talent is overrated

Mine's fairly nonexistent. (That I know of) There is just myself and another dude that you would never guess likes death-rock by the looks of him.

Quote Originally Posted by diablos 88 View Post
    true that, if i lived in CA i'd be taking the bus every weekend to hang out at Release the Bats!
    I'm hours away from LA, and no cash

Gabrielle if it makes you feel any better, it's not any better here in Toronto. We have one Deathrock act that I know of called "Amy's Arms" and only like ten people had shown up for the gig.....

Plus there is this whole thing going on in the underground community between Punks and Deathrockers/Goths and all of it is sad and immature.......Thanks to the Casualties and other such bands that have created this weird twisted elitism in Punk and the underground in general.....
    Bowie demands blood, and lots of it!

Scene here in Alhambra is completely dead from my point of view, but then again I've not searched hard enough for deathrockers. I would love to have a deathrock or horror punk friend to hang out with!
    If I remember correctly, I went to perversion in Downtown LA, and saw one other deathrocker out of the entire crowd but it was an industrial and BDSM night. To ask what I was doing there is questionable.

Here in NJ it isn't big, I don't have any friends into DR with me... I find that odd though because the tri-state has an okay punk scene and there's some really good venues in the area. I have started my own DR project though, it's far from being complete but in time hopefully I can use it to find fellow deathrockers and maybe attract newcomers

Junior Member Beautiful Mourning's Avatar
    I will admit that I am jealous of people living near cities like LA and Portland that have very active scenes right now. I live near Detroit. The deathrock band Shadow Image are from Flint (a reasonably close drive). We have a somewhat active psychobilly scene (the Koffin Kats and 3 or 4 other less active bands) but not much deathrock or old school goth action. Noir Leather is still open for business in Royal Oak. The frequently cited (Leland) City Club has de-evolved to the point of being purely oontz-oontz music and lots of non-goths (like my neighbor across the street) who have no interest in goth culture but just try to pick-up goth girls. It's quite sad really...

I want to mention that Something Cold (http://somethingcold.com/) regularly sponsors events in or near Detroit that are minimal synth/ early industrial oriented. Events are cheap (sometimes free) though NOT deathrock but if you like DJ sets and the occasional live act and like moog/Cab Volt/Throbbing Gristle type stuff then check it out.

For the last few months a little grunge/metal/industrial/goth scene has congregated at the Maidstone Theatre in Ypsilanti. For those who aren't aware, Ypsilanti is a little more than an hour from Detroit, closer to Ann Arbor. It's very 90s-centric -- like a parallel universe where 9/11 and emo/screamo never happened. Like Something Cold, it's charming even though it's not exactly my thing. (My thing being deathrock, horror-punk, psychobilly, post-punk, no wave, and old school punk.) It fills me with hope. On February 1st, Shadow Image will play there and I am THRILLED. Shadow Image (from Flint, Michigan) play a very 90s influenced strain of deathrock. You can hear influences of Cleopatra-era bands (like Two Witches and London After Midnight), industrial and metal/hard rock (like Type O Negative). It's still deathrock and probably a good "gateway" band for people that listen to a lot of 90s stuff. In other words, a PERFECT FIT for the Maidstone. I'm giddy and feel like you feel when two people you've known a long time that are good people and have similar interests hook-up (lol). I'm sooo looking forward to this show and also so looking forward to where this goes. Will it lead to other touring deathrock bands playing in Ypsilanti, more local bands starting up, or just more interest in general? Who knows, but I'm optimistic again. More optimistic than I've been since witch-house started. More optimistic than I've been since I discovered Drop Dead and DeathRock magazines. More optimistic than I've been since the 90s. Stay tuned...

Woo-Hoo!

The Maidstone (AKA The Gravestone) Theatre in Ypsilanti presents Gravefest -- Saturday, July 12th! Several bands will be featured, including Violet Void, Luna Bella, Riot Virus, and Toxic-Anarchy. More details here: http://www.reverbnation.com/show/13105239

For anyone still paying attention... Gravefest has been rescheduled for August 2nd and will now include Shadow Image and Leper! (Not Luna Bella anymore though.) More details at: https://www.facebook.com/events/867989193218646/?ref=22

There's one or two people around here who like old stuff like that, but even NYC is pretty dead. I don't see much of anyone when I go out (not that it happens often).
    https://www.exptools4u.com